Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Journal: Jonathan Edwards



Christine Sloss
Dr. Scott Lankford
English 48A
Journal: Jonathan Edwards
November 22, 2011


Author Quote: “Were it not for the sovereign pleasure of God, the earth would not bear you one moment; for you are a burden to it;”

Internet Quote:Resolution One: I will live for God. Resolution Two: If no one else does, I still will.”



Brief summary of what the author is saying in your own words: Edwards is imploring with his listeners, trying to press upon them that their sinful ways are a burden to earth and all it stands for, and if it wasn’t for gods patience you would already be sent to the depth of hell.







My thoughts: Hmmm. This is a difficult subject for me, my first thoughts were to lock this wacko up before he has everyone in his congregation commit suicide in the name of God. It always surprises me when I come across someone as brilliant as Edwards, only to find that their narrow mindedness gets the better of them. From my perspective, I can see that religion helps many people, those who are incapable of guiding themselves through life. I feel, similar to Thomas Paine that in most cases, common sense needs to be taught, hence his essay, and in a round about way having a religion can help teach those who are struggling to find direction, give hope, and find peace within themselves. (I get that). However, those same type of people who are exposed to the likes of Edwards are susceptible to grave many thoughts. If Edwards has them believe they are doomed to die as sinners “your wickedness makes you as it were heavy as lead” And, if they do not exists souly for Gods bidding (Edward’s bidding), they will “plunge into the bottomless gulf” in hell. I have a bone to pick with the power hungry, bible thumping, authoritarian, “spider”, playing on the adolescents mind of the naive. It was Edwards web that was collecting the souls of the unconscious, playing on their superstition and fears. Edwards would feast on the struggling ”if God should withdraw His hand, they would avail no more to keep you from falling” I can not imagine heaviness of guilt the people of his congregation endured during his rein. When they talk of “the fear of god” it was the likes of Edwards who they coined the phrase for.

No comments:

Post a Comment