Monday, October 17, 2011

Journal Frederick Douglass


Christine LaKomy Sloss

English 48A  
Dr.Scott Lankford
October 14, 2011

Journal: Frederick Douglass


Author Quote: I could regard them in no other light than a band of successful robbers, who had left their homes, and gone to Africa, and stolen us from our homes, and in a strange land reduced us to slavery. I loathed them as being the meanest as well as the most wicked of men. 


Internet Quote: “1660- the colonies began enacting laws that defined and regulated slave relations. Central to these laws was the provision that black slaves, and the children of slave women, would serve for life.” 


Brief Summary: Fredrick Douglass entered into life as a slave. At an early age he is exposed to horrific crimes against humanity. With a lot of luck and the will to live a better life, he find a way to break through to the free-land and help bring more awareness of the tragic lives slaves lead in the south. Fredrick Douglass truly makes the impact he hoped for by having his life story heard. He not only fought for himself but for every person who didn’t have a voice, those who still suffered, who still would die, who would still be forced against their will.  



My reaction: I am still chilled from the readings, I’ve never felt so much emotion for a person as I did reading Fredrick’s story. His description of his experience being beaten evoked such a strong response that I found myself winching as I read. I can not imagine the suffering, the separation from his family, and the shock of being relocated and not knowing what the conditions would be. It boggles my mind to think anyone could endure such tragedy, and yet so many did (and still do). Fredrick is amazing how he broke free in his mind, teaching himself the language, and scheming his way to a free-state, what his did is unbelievable. His strength is inspiring, and when he escaped, he didn’t lay low, instead he fought back as an activist, fighting slavery, and women’s rights. I have to wonder about the quality of education I got when I was in high school, because we celebrated Martin Luther King, but I never heard of the heroic Fredrick Douglass.  I was happy to read that Fredrick knew he was admired for his hard work and contribution to this country before his last days on earth. And, History could have been so different, if a crazy “slave breaker”, like Covey had broke him or killed him. Covey had no problem treating innocent people like beasts of burden, the heartless does not think about who lives or dies. (reminds me of Nazi camps). For me, I would rather die then to be a kept slave, I could not imagine being someones property and enduring the pains Fredrick was subjected to. Scarier yet there are places on earth that are still living this nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment